How to Transform AI Writing into High-Quality Blog Content
Do you want to learn how to make the most of AI writing for your B2B blog? AI writers like ChatGPT and Bard have upended the marketing industry this year, in what seems like the blink of an eye.
Content that once took hours to produce now unfolds in front of your eyes in seconds.
However, publishing AI-generated blog content without human collaboration could harm your brand’s reputation or position in the SERPs.
So before you hit “publish” on any AI-written piece, check out the tips below and find out how to optimize AI writing with additional research, editing, and SEO.
We’ll cover the following topics:
- How to craft good prompts
- How to proofread and copy edit AI writing
- How to add value with human research
- How to add engaging elements
- How to apply advanced creative writing techniques
- How to apply advanced SEO techniques
Don’t lose your audience due to AI blunders! Instead, follow the steps below to optimize your AI writing for quality, value, and performance.
What Is AI Writing?
AI writing is a method of content creation powered by artificial intelligence.
“Some people worry that artificial intelligence will make us feel inferior, but then, anybody in his right mind should have an inferiority complex every time he looks at a flower.”– Alan Kay, A.M. Turing Laureate and computer science pioneer
Before the release of ChatGPT 3 in November 2022, more than half of marketers were already using AI. AI tools helped tailor keywords, topics, analytics, and publishing times for increased ROI. The latest advancements in AI writing were introduced with the launch of ChatGPT 3 in November 2022. And they forever changed the way marketers create content.
- By March 2023, 73% of marketers in a Botco survey said their companies were using generative AI to help create content.
AI writing is a powerful tool that helps businesses quickly develop content and ideas.
How Does AI Help With B2B Writing?
B2B content marketers use AI writing to assist in many ways. It can help with any type of writing you might imagine, including site copy, social media captions, site resources, and more.
One of the most exciting ways AI writing helps marketers is by producing blog content.
- Brainstorming: Generate ideas for blog posts, content strategy, and social media captions.
- Outlines: Create outline suggestions for blog articles and other content.
- First drafts: Generate the first draft of an article, case study, or guide, which you can then edit and polish.
- Copywriting: Compose engaging headlines and CTAs.
During a time when marketers are expected to increase ROI on reduced budgets, AI writers are tough to ignore. Their ability to generate decent content, instantly is impossible to resist.
Source: Chat GPT
AI writing comes with drawbacks, though. Its facts, quotes, and events are often wrong — and sometime entirely made up. Its writing style sounds generic. It makes spelling and grammar mistakes. Its SEO is primed to underperform. Additionally, it lacks the imagination, creativity, and experience of its human counterparts.
The good news is that you can still use AI writers to cut costs and speed up content production.
With a bit of human collaboration, AI writers can produce high-quality content that drives traffic, engagement, and conversions for your website. Using the tips in this guide, you can use AI writers to help produce valuable content more quickly, for a fraction of what you used to pay.
Can AI Writing Be Detected?
If you publish AI content without human editing or enhancements, readers are likely to recognize it as AI writing. But when you follow the process outlined below, your readers will never know.
Some tools claim to detect AI writing, but they are well-known to be unreliable.
How To Turn AI Writing Into High-Quality Blog Content
On its own, AI can’t produce the level of quality needed to establish your brand as an authority in its field. But with a few tweaks, you can enhance its value so it performs very well.
Turning AI writing into high-quality, expert blog content requires 6 steps:
- Start with good prompts.
- Proofread and copy edit grammar and syntax.
- Add verified human research.
- Add engaging elements.
- Add creative writing techniques.
- Quality-check SEO elements and add advanced SEO techniques.
Instead of publishing the first draft of generated content, follow the steps below for better results.
Step 1: Craft Good Prompts
A prompt is a request you give to an AI writer. Simple prompts produce generic writing. Detailed prompts result in better content.
Writing Prompt Examples
I entered a simple prompt and got clunky writing with a “C” readability score.
Simple prompt: Write a blog article on the pros and cons of taking your pet to work.
Results: “The modern workplace is evolving, with companies increasingly recognizing the importance of work-life balance and employee well-being.”…
When I input a detailed prompt, I got better results and an “A” readability score.
Detailed Prompt: “Act as a skilled and engaging writer who is talented at breaking down complex information into easy-to-understand, actionable blog posts that rank number 1 on Google. Create a 750-word blog post titled ‘The pros and cons of taking your pet to work.’ Write it at a 5th-grade reading level and so it receives an ‘A’ readability score on Readable,”
Results: “Do you love your pet so much that you want to bring them to work with you? If so, you’re not alone.”…
How To Craft Better Prompts
Writing prompts is an art form. The more you practice, the better you’ll get at writing them. You can give yourself an edge by following AI influencers and joining AI groups on social media.
For example, Zain Kahn helps LinkedIn users understand everything about the new AI technology. He often shares valuable tips on how to create good prompts.
Step 2: Proofread And Copy Edit
Before you begin proofing and copyediting, review your AI-generated draft for accuracy. AI has a reputation for making things up. As the expert in your industry, review the piece to ensure its information is accurate and doesn’t misguide your readers.
After reviewing the draft for topic accuracy, adjust the writing style so it sounds more human and is a good fit for your brand and audience.
Here are the key points to check when copy editing the writing style:
- Grammar, spelling, and syntax errors
- Voice and tone that matches your brand
- A style that connects with your audience
- Nice flow and rhythm
- Readability score
When this step is complete, you’re ready to move on to the fun part — adding topic research!
Step 3: Add Topic Research
Adding statistics, quotes, examples, and other research to your article makes it more valuable and engaging to your audience.
Conduct in-depth topic research to find valuable information you can add to your piece, such as:
- Verified current statistics
- Verified quotes
- Social media posts
- Original quote or interview
This is also a perfect time to add internal and external links to your article.
Adding topic research to AI writing gives it a massive boost in quality, which can result in increased organic traffic and conversions.
Step 4: Add Engaging Elements
Next, add engaging elements to keep readers engaged and enjoying your blog post.
Break up your text with visuals that make the article skimmable and fun to read, such as:
- Images or screenshots
- Audio recording
- Closing question
This is a great time to add CTAs that guide readers toward conversions. Consider including two or more of the following types of CTAs in your piece.
- Visual CTA
- Inline CTAs
- Standard CTAs
Incorporate visuals and CTAs into your AI writing to help boost reader engagement and conversions.
Step 5: Apply Advanced Creative Writing Techniques
To humanize your content and keep readers on the page, add creative writing techniques that go beyond what AI can produce.
Below are several creative writing techniques you can use in B2B writing.
Creative Writing Techniques For B2B Content
B2B readers prefer informative, actionable content, so many standard creative writing techniques aren’t a good fit. However, there are a few creative writing techniques that complement a B2B style quite well.
- Show and tell. Don’t just explain concepts to your readers. Show them with real-life examples, stories, and opinions. You can use screenshots, videos, and images to make them even more compelling.
- Figurative language. Figurative language can be used to add power and persuasion to writing. For example, you could use a metaphor to compare your product to a superhero, or you could use a simile to compare it to a luxury car.
- Personal insights: AI writers are great at providing facts and figures. They can tell you how many people live in a city, what the weather’s like today, or what the stock market did yesterday. But when it comes to subjective experiences, AI struggles. Add subjective insights to boost the creativity and uniqueness of your articles. By sharing your opinions and experience, you make the piece more human, informative, and engaging.
- Storytelling: Storytelling is an excellent way to form a connection with readers, however, B2B readers want content that gets to the point. One way to effectively add stories to B2B content is by using examples that back up your concepts.
- Memorable characters. Readers are more likely to remember an article if you introduce real people and brands along the way. Share social media posts, quotes from experts, and excerpts from interviews to serve as the “characters” in your story.
For inspiration, look to brands that are famous for storytelling, such as Dove, Nike, and GoPro.
For example, GoPro encourages its social media followers to share user-generated content. As a result, its Instagram feed is filled with stories. One GoPro post shows an image of a man on a palm tree, next to the caption “@mikeab8 is still recovering from the weekend.”
You can weave stories and examples like the one above into your blog posts to help breathe life into long bodies of text.
Weave advanced writing techniques into your pieces to add creativity and originality. It can help you form a stronger connection with readers, leading to higher conversions.
Step 6: Supercharge Your On-page SEO
AI writers do a great job helping to improve on-page search engine optimization. However, AI SEO, without human collaboration, probably won’t help you rank.
According to a 2023 survey of 1,700 marketers by Semrush, here are the top ways marketers boost SERP rankings.
- Research and add related keywords (45%)
- Analyze and address customer questions in blog posts (38%)
- Add more visuals (38%)
- Conduct in-depth search intent analysis (27%)
Whether you’re using a standard AI writer like ChatGPT or an advanced SEO writer like Scalenut or Surfer, you’ll need to put in some human effort if you want your article to reach its full SERP potential.
Standard On-page SEO Elements Checklist
AI can generate many of the SEO elements a blog post needs, but its phrasing and best practices aren’t always in line with what Google looks for. Help your blog article reach its full potential by manually reviewing each of the SEO elements below.
- External and internal links
- Semantic keywords
- Keyword balance
- Key terms
- Keyword density
- Content depth
- Heading structure
- Featured snippet
- Alt text
- Anchor text
- Meta title
- Meta tags
- Meta description
Advanced On-page SEO Techniques For AI Writing
AI’s intelligence is impressive, but can never replace human judgment — especially when it comes to advanced SEO techniques.
Incorporate the following advanced SEO techniques to help your article compete on the SERPs and send high-intent traffic to your site.
- In-depth search intent analysis and research
- In-depth keyword research (in addition to the primary)
Competitive SEO is a unique combination of art and science. It requires in-depth knowledge, good judgment, and good instincts. If you’re in a competitive industry and want to rank near the top of SERPs, look for an SEO writer who is committed to Google Best Practices and Inbound Marketing principles.
AI Writers Excel With Human Collaboration
AI writing is a powerful tool that helps content marketers create high-quality material quickly and easily. However, it’s important to remember that AI writing is not a replacement for human creativity and editing.
Human-AI collaboration is the best way to produce high-performing content for a fraction of the cost and time.